1. Chinese Management Research: Implications from the Recent Chinese Research Published on Top Journals on Strategy Presented June 18th, 2010, East SYSU Enterprise Management, School of Business, Sun Yat-Sun University Guangzhou 510290 China 1
2. Location Location Location Rousseau & Fried (2001) Rousseau D M, Fried Y. Location, location, location: Contextualizing organizational research[J]. Journal of Organizational Behavior,2001,22(1):1-13. 2
3. How to Do Chinese Management Research? 3
4. Read Paper on Chinese Research Papers of Chinese research And Think
5. Content 1. Article Selection 2. Our Findings 3. Interesting Papers 4. Suggestion to Future Research
12. Theory Institutional Theory Social network TCE RBV 2.83 2.5 2.16 9 KBV 1.5 Absorptive capacity perspective 1.5 Organizational ecology 1 Dynamic capabilities 1 Real Option 1 Resource dependence theory 0.5 Competition dynamics 0.33 organizational inertia theory 0.33 Agency Theory 0.33 Internalisation theory 0.33 12 Peng M W. Towards an institution-based view of business strategy[J]. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2002,19(2):251-267.
15. Author Country USA 10.16 China Hong kong 6.83 UK 3.25 China Mainland USA 2.08 Canada 1.75 German 1 Netherlands 0.75 China Tai Wan 0.66 First HK Belgium 0.5 Singapor 0.5 Korea 0.5 Second 15
16. Author University City University of Hong Kong 2 The University of Hong Kong 1.75 Chinese University of Hong Kong 1.66 University of Kansas 1.16 Peking University 1.16 Rice University 1 University of Leeds (CIBUL) 1 Loyola Marymount University 1 5.41 University of North Carolina at Charlotte 0.91 Simon Fraser University 0.83 University of Texas at Dalla 0.83 Hong Kong Skolkovo Institute for Emerging Market Studies 0.66 University of Erlangen-Nuremberg 0.66 16
17. China Mainland Authors Peking University University of Western Ontario Canada 3 1.17 Skolkovo Institute for university of Oregon 2 0.66 Emerging Market USA Studies University of Utah Wuhan University USA 1 0.33 17
18. They are in top Journals But they are good enough?
19. Location Location Location Contextualizing Contextualizing Contextualizing Rousseau D M, Fried Y. Location, location, location: Contextualizing organizational research[J]. Journal of Organizational Behavior,2001,22(1):1-13. 19
20. Multiple Influences of Context
21. Type 1 Application of Context A Theories to Context B Example: Zhao Z J, Anand J. A multilevel perspective on knowledge transfer: evidence from the Chinese automotive industry[J]. Strategic Management Journal,2009,30(9):959-983.
22. Type 2 Extension of Context A Theories cross- context study Example: Lin Z, Peng M W, Yang H, et al. How do networks and learning drive M&As? An institutional comparison between China and the United States[J]. Strategic Management Journal,2009,30(10):1113-1132.
23. Type 3 Elaboration of Context A Theories single-context study Example: Xiao & Tsui, When Brokers May Not Work: The Cultural Contingency of Social Capital in Chinese High-tech Firms, ASQ, 2007.
24. Type 4 Development of Context B (Indigenous) Theories Example: Buckley P J, Clegg L J, Cross A R, et al. The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment[J]. Journal of International Business Studies,2009,40(2):499-518.
25. A Typology of Indigenous Studies Exploitation (Tsui, 2009) Exploration (Tsui, 2009) A theory of Chinese management (B