A healthy life
ADVICE FROM GRANDADUnit 3 Reading
duedue totough addictedaddicted toaccustomaccustomedaccustomed towithdrawaladj. adj. adj. vt. adj. n. Words andExpressions
adj. adj. vt. ()n. adj. adj. adj. vt. vi. Words andExpressions
decide onpacketfeel like (doing) desperatechemistdisappointedashamedin spite oftake risks
n. adj. n. adj. adj. Words andExpressions
get intoetcappendix illegalpillat risksurvivalsexneedle
adv. n. adj. n. n. n. n. Words andExpressions
n. n. ()n. n. n. n. adj. adj. Words andExpressions
due toaddicted to accustomed todecide on feel like (doing) ()Match
1. To summarize the main idea of the passage2. To know more about the harmful effects of smoking and how to quit smoking3. To learn some useful words, expressions and patterns in the passage
Words: due, addicted, accustomed, automatic, mental, effect, strengthen, desperate, disappointed, ashamedExpressions:due to, decide on, feel like (doing)Patterns: find it difficult to I dont know much about
Skimming for general idea
Whats the main idea of the passage?(1) Answer the questions.
23541(2)Match the paragraphs with the main ideas.
A. James problem of smoking.B. Telling some different ways of becoming addicted.C. The writers hope for his grandson and advice on stopping smoking.D. Tell us the harmful effects of smoking.E. From the life the writer is living, we know the importance of healthy life.
Scanning for specific information
1. Why James grandfather wrote to James?Because he wanted to tell James his experience.Because he wanted to tell James the harmful effects of smoking.Because he wanted to help James give up smoking.D. Because he wanted to help James get some information.(1)Choose the best answers to the questions.
2. Which word can replace the meaning of adolescent. A. people B. children C. students D. teenagers
3. Which is NOT the effect of smoking?Causing terrible damage to heart and lungs.B. Affecting the health of non-smokers.C. Having the clothes turn yellow.D. Not enjoying sport.4. What is NOT included in the advice about stop smoking on the Internet?A. Relax. B. Determination.C. Courage. D. Get help from others.
physically addicted to nicotine2. addicted through habit3. mentally addicted(2)Fill in the chart below.
Information from the reading passageDifferent ways people can become addicted to cigarettes
1. do terrible damage to heart and lungs2. have difficulty in becoming pregnant3. be unfit4. smell terrible
Harmful physical effects for smokers
1. other people dislike the smell2. the cigarette smoke can do harm to non-smokersbe unable to enjoy sport
Effects that a persons smoking can have on other peopleEffects that smoking can have on sporting performance
Make a summary of the advice from Jamess grandad on how to stop smoking. Prepare yourself such as making a list of all the benefits from stopping smoking. Be determined. Do anything that will keep your mind and hands busy to break the habit. Summary
When you feel stressed/nervous, do some relaxation exercises instead of reaching for a cigarette. Get help if you need it. Dont be ashamed of your failure, and keep trying until you finally succeed.
I believed I was happier and more relaxed after having a cigarette, so I began to think that I could only feel good when I smoked. conj.: and for that reason relax (v.) relaxation (n.) relaxed (adj.) relaxing (adj.)
Translation1. It was raining heavily and they found that a stream had formed in the field.2. He appeared relaxed and confident when he went into her office.
I didnt know, for example, that it could do terrible damage to your heart and lungs or that it was more difficult for smoking couples to become pregnant.do damage to I dont know ... or ... ............conj.
1. The accident did little damage to either car.Translation2. I dont know where to go or what to do.
Suppose your father or your relative is a smoker, how will you persuade him to quit smoking?
How to give suggestions?In my opinion, you can (not) I think/suppose youd better (not) Youd better (not) You should (not) You ought (not) to If I were you, I would (not)
healthy cause lung cancer cough badly heavy smoker be harmful to smell terrible be addicted to Its no good (doing) without income cause fireUsing the words below to make a short dialogue in pairs.
Now 2 mins to test your spelling.English-Chinesecigarette, alcohol, tough, addicted, accustomed to, pregnant, packet, chemist, comprehension, appendix, illegal, survival, prejudice, abortionWhen finished, exchange your papers to see who does the best.Chinese-English
I. Complete the passage with proper words, which will help you retell the text.James grandfather wrote to help James_________ smoking. James grandfather once became addicted to cigarettes in three ways. His body was ___________ to having nicotine. He began to do it automatically and became _________ addicted. But he finally managed to stop when realizing the harmful effects.quitaccustomedmentally
James grandfather also told Jamesthat smoking did damage to heart and lungs and it was more difficult for smoking couples to become _________ . So he gave James some advice and encouraged him not to be ____________ if he has to try several times before he finally stops smoking.pregnantdisappointed
II. Task-based reading.Read the passage and answer the following questions.1. When and where was the idea of the red ribbon born? 2. Why did the artists create the symbol, the red ribbon?3. Where did the artists get inspiration when they created the symbol?
1. When and where was the idea of the red ribbon born? It was born in 1991 in New York.2. Why did the artists create the symbol, the red ribbon?Because they wanted to get people talking about HIV and had a visual expression of compassion for people living with HIV and affected by HIV.3. Where did the artists get inspiration when they created the symbol?They got inspiration from the yellow ribbons tied on trees to show support for the US fighting in the Gulf War.
Things I can doEvaluationI have learned the reason why people should give up smoking.54321I can grasp the main idea of the reading passage.54321I can apply some vocabulary from the reading passage to my future writing. 54321I can understand the sentence patterns and write new sentences with them.54321I need more practice in ________________________.
Think about what weve just learnt today.Study without reflection is a waste of time.After the classIts time to stop the class for us to look back in silence.TIME FOR REFLECTION
Homework 1. Write a composition: How can we live a healthy life?due to, automatic, mental, effect, strengthen, decide on, feel like (doing), desperate, disappointed, ashamed.2. (50-100)