Finals of the Karnataka Quiz conducted in PESIT,Bangalore as part of AT13.
Text of AT 13 Karnataka Quiz finals
1. KARNATAKA QUIZ FINALS!
2. THIS QUIZ IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:DHANA SAHAAYAKKE
3. ROUND 1Dries
4. 1. The Person Behind The Personality is the biography of a
very popular personality .This book has gained a lot of prominence
locally. Who is the subject and author?
5. And the answer is
6. Dr. Rajkumar and Puneeth Rajkumar
7. 2. _______ was a successful language rights agitation in the
1980s that fought for the first language status of the Kannada
language in the state of Karnataka.It was named after the committee
headed by ___- that had recommended giving primacy to Kannada in
State schools. Actor Dr Rajkumar led the campaign. FITB
8. And the answer is
10. 3.Who has been shortlisted for the international Man Booker
prize for his novel Bharatipura?
11. And the answer is
13. 4. He has authored books like Namma Hotteyalli Dakshina
America,Tamilu Talegala naduve. Unfortunately he is often
associated with his father who is more popular. He and his father
form the first father son duo to win the Kendra Sahitya Academy
Award . Now give me the name of his father , who also lends his
name to a busy road in namma Bengaluru. (pic in next slide)
14. And the answer is
15. DV Gundappa and BGL Swami
16. 5. Gorur Ramaswami Iyengar was a popular writer, known for
his satire and humour. He was influenced by the independence
movement and became a staunch follower of Gandhi. His son is a
popular person too, and he rose to prominence in recent times after
contesting as an independent candidate in the election. Name both
father and son.
17. And the answer is
18. Capt. GR Gopinath
19. 6. This actor was given an honorary doctorate recently. The
realization on Twitter was that with this GOVravada DAActorate, his
title and his real surname-which he never uses- would be the same.
20. And the answer is
21. Dr. Ambareesh GOWDA
22. 7. X is one of the most popular lead actors in Sandalwood .
X played the character of Y in his blockbuster movie Z. His
character in the movie became so popular that from then he has been
known as YX fondly. Contrary to this many believe that he is called
so because of his wonderful performance in the movie Y. Further X
has also played the lead role in a movie titled YZ. X (actor) ,Y
& Z(movies) make up the answer.
23. And the answer is
24. X- SudeepY- KicchaZ- Huccha
25. 8. The passion for a certain event in this regionis so much
that more than 200 familiesparticipate in an annual fest. It was
started inthe year 1997 and was the brainchild of 69 yearold
Pandanda Kuttappa. This fest is recognisedas one of the largest of
its kind in the world andhas been referred to the Guinness Book
ofRecords. However, it has already found amention in the Limca Book
26. And the answer is
27. Coorg Hockey Festival
28. ROUND 2Write Bros.
29. 1. This is an example of metal handicraft that originated
in Karnataka, in the 14th century C.E., during the rule of the
Bahamani Sultans. The term originates from the township of Bidar,
which is still the chief centre for the manufacture of the unique
30. 2. The origin of these can be traced to the reign of Tipu
Sultan who invited artisans from Persia to train the local artisans
in the making of these products. Vegetable dyes are used in the
colouring process to ensure that the products are safe for use by
children. What product?
31. 3. This traces its historical origin to Thakur family which
migrated from Unnao in Uttar Pradesh to X after the dreaded plague
broke out there sometime in early 19th Century. With meagre funds,
Shri. Ram Ratan Singh Thakur started making Y and selling them and
gradually, it started becoming popular. The technique of preparing
these Y however remains a closely guarded trade secret, known only
to the family members of Shri. Babusingh Thakur, as handed down the
generations, by father to son. XY?
32. 4. Shree Vadhirajacharya, a monk, was daily offering food
to Hayagreeva used to close the door and a horse steps up on his
shoulder to eat it. Vadhirajaru used to return empty vessel always.
This enraged other brahmanas, and in turn they mixed poison,
thinking that Vadhirajaru has eaten it, as usual he offered food,
the horse came and ate fully without leaving a trace. But to their
surprise, other Brahmins saw Shri Krishna, Udupis Idol turning blue
in color. So other brahmnas felt guilty and went to Vadhirajaru for
pardon. Vadhirajaru with his divine powers gave X to Mattu Brahmins
to sow it. The X grown there is bought and being offered to Krishna
as Nayvedhya. Slowly the blueishness vanished away. This is the
story behind what?
33. 5. The peculiar characteristic of the saree is joining
thebody warp with the pallav warp which is locally called asTOPE
TENI. This technique is only used exclusively at X. Ifanyone
requires an X saree one must prepare a warp forevery saree. Warp
threads for body is preparedseparately. Similarly pallav warp is
prepared separatelyeither with art silk or pure silk depending upon
thequality required. Thirdly border portion of warp isprepared as
like the pallav warp either art silk or puresilk and the colour
used for pallav and on border will beone and the same. In general,
the length of the pallavwill range 16 to 27. The pallav threads and
bodythreads are joined in loop technique, a typical methodwhich is
locally called as TOPE TENI. X?
34. 6. _____ ______ is an important ingredient in
spicypreparations like Bisi bele bath, sambar, chutneys andother
food items of South India and is widely used inthe Udupi cuisine.
It is also used in meat preparationsbecause of the bright red
colour that it imparts to themeat. 25 industries in and around this
town areinvolved in grinding these chillies into powder andselling
them to masala manufacturers like MTR FoodProducts.
35. 7. The name X is derived from exposure to themonsoon winds
of the _______ coast. The blend isheavy bodied, pungent and is
considered to be drywith a musty, chocolatey aroma and notes of
spice andnuts. The origins of X date back to the times of
theBritish Raj, when, during the months that the beanswere
transported by sea from India to Europe, thehumidity and the sea
winds combined to cause this toripen from the fresh green to a more
aged pale yellow.
39. Bangalore and Mandya, Myso Belgaum and Surrounding re and
nearby Bijapur Areas areas Kodagu and Hyderabad Karavali Hassan
Karnataka Kolar and Malnad ROUND 4 Tumkur
40. At this tourist destination, the Kaveri runs through a
deep,narrow ravine of hard granite rock. The river, which ismore
than 150 meters wide at the confluence (atSangama) flows through
the hardly 10-meter-wide gorgehere. One can see the ferocious flow
of all that water,proving Bernoullis Theorem beyond doubt. The name
ofthis place comes from the fact that a shepard once saw agoat jump
across the river, in its attempt to escape from atiger. Which
42. Which religious place possesses Tipu Sultansjeweled cup and
was lucky to receivemonetary benefits from him as well as HyderAli,
standing testimony to the everlastingcommunal harmony that exists
in this part ofthe country?
44. What did Ibrahim Adil Shah give as Jagir(reward) to Shahji
Raje Bhonsle, fatherof Shivaji, for his contributions on
thebattlefield in their fight against thePortuguese?
46. This place is home to the sacred trivenisangama-the meeting
place of Kaveri(Nammadu) , Kannike and Sujyoti.Tipu Sultan renamed
this place to Afesalabadduring his reign.Mt. Thavoor and
Mt.Koppatti are trekkingdestinations in this region. Place?
48. What is celebrated every year on 17thSept in memory of the
success ofOperation Polo on Sept 17th, 1948?
49. Hyderabad Karnataka Liberation Day
50. What was established by AmmembalSubba Rao Pai in Mangalore
on 1st July,1906 with the intention "to bring abouteconomic
stability, unity and brotherhoodamong all coastal Hindus?
51. Canara Bank
52. This town named after sageRishyashringa, rose to
importancefollowing the divine sighting of a cobrarising its hood
to provide shelter to afrog. Town?
54. This city is sometime called "the gym city of india"with a
lot of interest within the youngster communityin gymming. L.M.
Karibasappa, Ekalavya award winnerand five-time Mr. India titler in
bodybuilding is fromhere. It has produced the highest number of Mr.
Indiaathletes. Many builders like Gangappa, Satyanarayanaand many
others represented India in events like AsianGames and Commonwealth
Games. Maheshwarayyawas a famous powerlifting athlete from the
56. ROUND 4Audio Video Round
57. 1.Who is the subject of this song?
58. And the answer is
59. Veera Vanite Obavva
60. 2. ID the band.
61. And the answer is
63. 3. This song is Pump It, by Black EyedPeas. Which kannada
song has thesame tune?
64. And the answer is
65. Come On, Come On Director, fromSuper
66. 4. The song played is Hotel California.Which song in
kannada has the sameguitar riff?