Mini project report On
In the partial fulfillm ent of 4 th sem ester of MCABy SANDEEP.A.V(RegNo:95580045)
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER APPLICATIONS COCHIN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY KOCHI-22SANDEEP Page 1
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER APPLICATIONS COCHIN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COCHIN -22
CE RTIFICA TEThis is to certify that the report entitled FIL E SPLITTE R is a bona fide record of the project work done by SANDEEP.A.V in the partial fulfillment of 4th semester of Master of Computer Applications of theCochinUniversityof Science and Technology, Cochin.
Place: Cochin Date: 15th JUNE, 2010 Head of the Department
This Project itself is an acknowledgement to the inspiration, drive and technical assistance contributed by many individuals. This project would have never seen the light of this day without the help and guidance I have received.
I express my gratitude to Dr. K.V. Pramod, Head, Department of Computer Applications, Cochin University of Science And Technology, Cochin, Kerala for providing me with excellent infrastructure and awesome environment that laid potentially strong foundation for my professional life.
I owe an incalculable debt to all staffs of the Department of Computer Applications for their direct and indirect help.
I extend my heartfelt thanks to my parents, friends and well wishers for their support and timely help.
CONTENTSTITLE SYNOPSIS 1. INTRODUCTION
2. SYSTEM ANALYSIS2.1.PURPOSE 2.2. PROBLEM DEFINITION 2.3.FEASIBILITY 2.3.1 TECHNICAL FEASIBILITY 2.3.2 ECONOMIC FEASIBILITY 2.3.3 OPERATIONAL FEASIBILITY 2.4. EXISTING SYSTEM 2.5.PROPOSED SYSTEM 2.6. OVERVIEW
3. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS SPECIFICATION3.1 PURPOSE, SCOPE AND OVERVIEW 3.2. FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS 3.3. USER INTERFACE REQUIREMENTS 3.4. PERFORMANCE REQUIRMENTS 3.5. GENERAL CONSTRAINTS SANDEEP Page 4
3.6. NON FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS
4. SQA PLAN4.1 PURPOSE 4.2 SQA TASKS 4.3 STANDARDS, PRACTICES, CONVENTIONS, METRICS 4.4 TEST 4.5 TOOLS, TECHNIQUES AND METHODOLOGIES 4.6 APPENDIX
5. SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT 5.1HARDWARE5.2 SOFTWARE 5.2.1.OPERATING SYSTEM INFO 5.2.2.ABOUT THE LANGUAGE 5.2.3.ABOUT THE TOOL
6. SYSTEM DESIGN6.1. INPUT DESIGN 6.2. OUTPUT DESIGN 6.3. ARCHITECTURAL DESIGNCLASS DIAGRAMS
7. SOFTWARE TESTING7.1.TEST PLAN
8. SYSTEM IMPLEMENTAION 9.MAINTENANCE 10. CONCLUSION 11. SCREEN SHOTS 12. BIBLIOGRAPHYSANDEEP Page 5
SYN O PSIS
SYNOPSISFile Splitter is a software which is used to split the user specifying file according to the user specifying size. It is very difficult to transfer one big file from one end to another through any media like internet or small storage like Floppy, Pen drive etc. This software helps to overcome this problem. The splitted portions of file may carry some temporary information to denote the the number of splitted part and total number of parts etc. This idea is used to split big files to small pieces for transferring purpose, uploading etc. In the destination side, these parts of file can be jointed to form the original source file.
Splitting process is mainly aiming in the area of file transferring from one end to another. There are three techniques to split the file. 1.Split in the size of 1.4MB (Floppy size) 2.Split in the size of 650MB(CD size) 3.User specifying size, Here file will be splitted equally in the specified size.
To ensure the security, the user can include password to split and combine the files. This splitted portion will be in non readable format and will be encrypted. If the user has given password to split, the same password is required to do the combining option. This program is developed using Java and can implement in .NET also. Front end: javaSANDEEP Page 7
IN TR O D U CTIO N
File Splitter and Merger Software is used to split a large File intoseveral chunks as per your need and also merge these chunks into original form without any type of data loss. Files breaker joiner application has the facility for breaking one or more documents into several small sizes of document on a single click. All in one combiner creator tools add, join, create, organize, arrange and manage small files segment into bigger one as per requirement. File Splitter program divides all type of files like word, excel, power point, audio, video, songs, documents, etc and all type of File format like midi, doc, txt, mpg, gif, tiff, png, zip, exe, mp3, jpg, bmp, avi, etc into several small custom size and Software again remerge, rejoin, recreate these files into original File without altering original data. Document Splitter joiner utility is very helpful to break up big size File for copying to floppy, CD or email and anyone can merge it again to get original File with this tool. This is a very simple and handy tool to split or merge files. You have problem to carry large files? This Software can help you to split files into small pieces and join back, and the break size is up to you.
SYSTE M A N A L YSIS
2. SYSTEM ANALYSISSystem analysis or study is an important phase of any system development process. The system is studied to the minute detail and analyzed. The system analyst dwell ed deep into the working of the present system. The system was viewed as a whole and the input of the system are identified. During analysis phase for each problem identified many alternative solutions were evaluated and selected the most feasible one. A feasibility analysis was performed to evaluate possible solutions to recommend the most feasible one. 2.1 Purpose The purpose of the project is to create a file splitter that splits large files . In this project a large file is split into small pieces with the size specified by the user. A batch file is also created to join those files into the original one. 2.2 Problem Definition To develop a software solution to a problem, the first step is to understand the problem. The problem here is if you are new to Java programming, you are probably starting by using Notepad. When you want to compile a program, you need to open a DOS window and type javac programname.java and for running to type java programname. Also what you type is what you get: notepad does not help you any way with Java syntax or design. And you cannot correct the errors within the editor. Otherwise we can use NETBEANS IDE for writing and compiling and running the program.
2.3 FEASIBILITY STUDY After the problem is clearly understood and solutions proposed, the next step is to conduct the feasibility study. Feasibility study is defined as evaluation or analysis of the potential impact of a proposed project or program. The objective is to determine whether the proposed system is feasible. There are three aspects of feasibility study to which the proposed system is subjected as discussed below.
2.3.1. Technical Feasibility Technical feasibility assesses whether the current technical resources are sufficient for the new system. If they are not available, can they be upgraded to provide the level of technology necessary for the new system? It checks whether the proposed system can be implemented in the present system without supporting the existing hardware.
2.3.2. Economic Feasibility Economic feasibility determines whether the time and money are available to develop the system. It also includes the purchase of new equipment, hardware, and software. A software product must be cost effective in the development, on maintenance and in the use. Since the hardware and resources are already available with the organization and the organization can afford to allocate the required resources.
2.3.3. Operational Feasibility Operational feasibility determines if the human resources are available to operate the system once it has been installed. The resources thatSANDEEP Page 12
are required to implement or install are already available with the organization. The persons of the organization need no exposure to computer but have to be trained to use this particular software. A few of them will be trained. Further, training is very less. The management will also be convinced that the project is optimally feasible.
2.4. EXISTING SYSTEMThe compression methods are used to transfer larger files. Compression consists of two types. Lossless and lossy compressions. For lossless compression the compressed file will decompress to an exact duplicate of the original file, mirroring its quality. The disadvantage is that the compression ratio is not all that high, precisely because no data is lost. To get a higher compression ratio -- to reduce a file significantly beyond 50% -- you must use lossy compression. But it leads to data loss.
2.5. PROPOSED SYSTEMFile Splitter Software is used to split a large File into several chunks as per your need and also merge these chunks into original form without any type of data loss. Files breaker joiner application has the facility for breaking one or more documents into several small sizes of document on a single click. All in one combiner creator tools add, join, create, organize, arrange and manage small files segment into bigger one as per requirement. File Splitter program divides all type of files like word, excel, power point, audio, video, songs, documents, etc and all type of File format like midi, doc, txt, mpg, gif, tiff, png, zip, exe, mp3, jpg, bmp, avi, etc into several small custom size and Software again remerge, rejoin, recreate these files into original File without altering original data. Document Splitter joiner utility is ve