How to teach students to find, use and evaluate information, using the PLUS Information search process.
- 1. Information Literacy How to teach students to find, use and evaluate information
Nerine ChalmersBA, Grad CE, M(TL)
Translator Amal Hamam
2. The Information Landscape of the 21st century
The library and librarians have become far far more important if they can
re-image themselves to reflect a new information landscape.
David Warlick, 2009
......... . -- .
4. Image from Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons
What is the new information landscape?
5. Information Literacy Standards for the Digital Learners of New York
Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge.
2. Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new situations, and create new knowledge.
3. Share knowledge and participateethically and productively.
4. Develop an appreciation for ideas and information in pursuit of personal growth.
Digital learners transfer current knowledge to the use of new information technologies
6. Transportation of Text
CONSTRUCTING NEW UNDERSTANDINGS
Ross Todd presenting in UK
FINDING, ACCESSING AND EVALUATING INFORMATION
8. These information literacy standardsshow that the terms find, evaluate and use cover many skills.It is important to look at those, particularly in this digital age where it is so easy to copy and paste from a website, as shown in this video clip.
- Provides clear directions
10. Clarifies purpose 11. Breaks down complex tasks into manageable expectations 12. Keeps students on task 13. Offers assessment to clarify expectations 14. Points students towards worthy sourcesImage from Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons
16. 17. 18. 19. 20. Image from Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons
Careful planning of assignments set by teachers or librarians:
- Assignments need to have relevance to students lives
22. need to involve the 21st century skills, 23. need to have a built in supportive assessment process 24. The assignment should require transforming the information rather than transporting it.Image from Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons
Image from Flickr, licensed under Creative Commons
27. PLUS in your day to day life.
You want a new outfit.What do you do?
29. LOCATE 30. USE 31. SELF EVALUATEPlan
- Decide on casual/professional
32. Color/Brand 33. Ready made or tailored? 34. Decide on the money you will spend on it