1. "Cuando muere"Cuando muere una lengua,una lengua, las cosaslas cosas divinas,divinas, estrellas, sol yestrellas, sol y luna,las cosasluna,las cosas humanas,humanas, pensar y sentir,pensar y sentir, no se reflejanno se reflejan en eso espejo."en eso espejo." "When a"When a language dies,language dies, the divinethe divine things,things, stars, sun andstars, sun and moon,moon, the humanthe human things.things. to think and toto think and to feel,feel, are no longerare no longer reflectedreflected in this mirror."in this mirror."
2. SIDEBARSIDEBAR Culture = LanguageCulture = Language Language = CultureLanguage = Culture YOU are the LANGUAGE youYOU are the LANGUAGE you speak.speak.
3. THE LANGUAGETHE LANGUAGE PATIENTPATIENT ______ LIVING LANGUAGES______ LIVING LANGUAGES ____ HAVE LESS THAN 100____ HAVE LESS THAN 100 SPEAKERSSPEAKERS EVERY ______ A LANGUAGEEVERY ______ A LANGUAGE DIESDIES
4. THE LANGUAGETHE LANGUAGE PATIENTPATIENT ____ % OF ALL LANGUAGES HAVE____ % OF ALL LANGUAGES HAVE DIED IN THE LAST 500 YEARS.DIED IN THE LAST 500 YEARS. ___ % OF ALL LANGUAGES MAY___ % OF ALL LANGUAGES MAY DIE THIS CENTURYDIE THIS CENTURY ___% OF THE WORLD SPEAK___% OF THE WORLD SPEAK JUST ___% OF THE LANGUAGESJUST ___% OF THE LANGUAGES
5. DIAGNOSISDIAGNOSIS SMALL POPULATION OFSMALL POPULATION OF SPEAKERSSPEAKERS CHILDREN NOT SPEAKINGCHILDREN NOT SPEAKING THE PARENTS LANGUGETHE PARENTS LANGUGE
6. THE ILLNESSTHE ILLNESS A language is endangered when its speakersA language is endangered when its speakers areare using it in fewer and fewerusing it in fewer and fewer communicativecommunicative domains and/or are ceasing to pass it ondomains and/or are ceasing to pass it on fromfrom one generation to the next. Languageone generation to the next. Language endangerment may be the result of externalendangerment may be the result of external developments and policies (whether military,developments and policies (whether military, economic, religious, cultural, oreconomic, religious, cultural, or educational), oreducational), or it may be caused by internalit may be caused by internal factors, such as afactors, such as a communitys negativecommunitys negative attitude towards its ownattitude towards its own language.language.
7. THE CAUSETHE CAUSE GENOCIDEGENOCIDE LINGUICIDELINGUICIDE NATURAL DISASTERSNATURAL DISASTERS LANGUAGE SHIFT /LANGUAGE SHIFT / POPULATION DRIFTPOPULATION DRIFT (Displacement)(Displacement) SOCIO-ECONOMICSOCIO-ECONOMIC (POLITICAL)(POLITICAL)
8. IMPORTANT?IMPORTANT? IF A LANGUAGE FALLS IN THEIF A LANGUAGE FALLS IN THE FORESTFOREST DOES SHOULD ANYONE CARE?DOES SHOULD ANYONE CARE?
9. WHY CARE?WHY CARE? DIVERSITY OF THEDIVERSITY OF THE ETHNOSPHEREETHNOSPHERE KNOWLEDGEKNOWLEDGE IDENTITYIDENTITY REPOSITORY OF HISTORYREPOSITORY OF HISTORY FUTURE PRESERVATIONFUTURE PRESERVATION
10. THE CURE (language revival)THE CURE (language revival) POLITICAL EMPOWERMENTPOLITICAL EMPOWERMENT HUMAN (LANGUAGE) RIGHTSHUMAN (LANGUAGE) RIGHTS PRESERVATION (UNICODE)PRESERVATION (UNICODE) CHANGE IN HUMAN MINDCHANGE IN HUMAN MIND SETSET
11. Learn a newLearn a new language and get alanguage and get a new soul. Czechnew soul. Czech ProverbProverb
12. There is no such thing asThere is no such thing as an ugly language. Today Ian ugly language. Today I hear every language as ifhear every language as if it were the only one, andit were the only one, and when I hear of one that iswhen I hear of one that is dying, it overwhelms medying, it overwhelms me as though it were theas though it were the death of the earthdeath of the earth Elias CanettiElias Canetti
13. Interesting WebsitesInteresting Websites http://linguistlist.orghttp://linguistlist.org http://thelinguists.comhttp://thelinguists.com www.nativevillage.orgwww.nativevillage.org www.ethnologue.comwww.ethnologue.com Foundation for Endangered languagesFoundation for Endangered languages www.ted.comwww.ted.com // www.rosettaproject.orgwww.rosettaproject.org www.universe.dailylife.comwww.universe.dailylife.com (Jonathan Harris)(Jonathan Harris) http://fsckorea.ning.comhttp://fsckorea.ning.com (additional info.)(additional info.)