Chapter 9 The Trip To The Promised Land
Embed Size (px)
Moses- Leading the Hebrews from EgyptMiddle School Religion 6-8
- 1.The Trip to the Promised Land Moses leads his People
- Israelites overjoyed about freedom
- sang songs; played tambourine
- No GPS system in the wilderness
- transition from slavery to free people to serve God
- Complain, complain, complain..
- They did not always follow Gods will.
- Forgot what God had done for them.
- Grumbled against Moses for their hardships
6. God always pulled through!
- Hebrews doubted/God showed faithfulness
- complaint of bitter waterGod had Moses change it to drinkable water
- more water/water from a rock
7. Moses is reunited
- Moses reunites with his family
- All continue on the journey
- Exodus/journey are signs of God leading his people
- In our age, we too are called to follow Gods plan for us
8. God gives his people the law
- Moses and God had a chit/chat on top of the mountain
- shall be to me a kingdom of priests, a holy nationExodus 19:6
9. Moses gives everyone the low down
- Moses tells everyone what God said
- Everything the Lord has said, we will do (Exodus 19:8)
- 3 days later, God appears to the group
10. Moses is summoned
- He gets the Ten Commandments
- Keep the laws/keep the covenant
- Jesusgrowing up Jewish , learned these commandments and obeyed these laws
- God gave other laws in Exodus and Leviticus
- Moses shared the laws with his people
- They agreed to follow them
12. An altar for the one true God
- Stone altar with 12 pillars
- 12 pillars represent12 tribes of Israel
- a.k.a. the twelve sons of Jacob
- sacrifice of young bulls as a peace offering
- This is the blood of the covenant which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words of his (Exodus 24:8)
13. Symbolic Numbers
- Moses spent on the mountain top
- Noah40 days/nights on the ark
- Jesusafter baptism spent 40 days in desert
- 12 pillars of stone that Moses set up
- These pillars also symbolize the 12 tribes of Israel
- 12 is also symbolic of the 12 apostles
15. The New Covenant
- We have a new covenant with God
- We obtained it at The Last Supper
- This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you. (Luke 22:20)
- I am the Lord your God; you shall not have strange gods before me.
- Do you worship the false gods of status, consumerism or peer approval?
- Do you ignore or avoid old friends in order to be part of the popular crowd? Do you make unreasonable demands on your parents for clothes or money?
- Do you give support to your peers when they tell racial or ethnic jokes? Do you show indifference toward the poor and think of them as losers by social standards?
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Do you use language that you would never speak in front of your grandmother?
- Is your language a reflection of a low opinion of others and insults?
- Remember to keep hold the Lords Day
- Do you skip mass because few of your friends go to church or because you feel that the gift of Gods presence should be as entertaining as MTV?
- Honor your father and your mother
- Do you thank your parents for what they do for you?
- Do you offer to help around the house?
- Do you value your family members as much as you do your friends?
- Do you value your life and that of others?
- Do you watch violent movies and play violent video games and think nothing of the killing involved?
- You shall not commit adultery
- Do you use other people for your own selfish pleasure?
- Do you lie to get others to act against their values?
- Are you true to your friends?
- Do you respect your parents and their relationship?
- Do you cheat on tests or homework?
- Do you ever shoplift or take things that don't belong to you?
- Do you respect others possessions?
- Do you follow copyright laws pertaining to downloading music, movies, copying cds dvds, plagiarism?
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
- Do you gossip or pass on rumors that hurt other people?
- Can you be trusted to keep a confidence?
- Do you lie to protect your own ego, even if someone will be hurt?
- You shall not covet your neighbors wife
- Are you envious of others? Do you resent their popularity or success?
- Do you feel you have to put others down in order to feel better about yourself?
- You shall not covet your neighbors goods
- Do you resent your parents when they tell you they cannot afford to buy the things that you feel you need to keep up with your friends?
- Do you ever ask your parents what their financial worries are?
37. Here goes that circle
- The Commandments Revisited
- Moses on mountain top with God
- God gave the tablets that the laws would be written on to Moses
- Reminded Moses that people were to worship only the one, true God
- Moses was gone for awhile
- Hebrews grew restlesswaiting
- wanted a god to worshipdidnt know what happened to Moses
- asked Aaron to give them one
- Moses came down from the mountain
39. Moses missed his anger management class!
- Throws tablets down/broke
- He punished those responsible
- Begged God to forgive them
- God calls Moses back up to the mountain
- has him write the commandments on the tablets
- returned from the mountain glowing
- had to wear a veil in front of the Hebrews
- instructed to build a dwelling place for God
- contributed personal belongings to do it
- meeting tent, movable because they were not at a place of permanence yet
- wooden box where the 10 Commandments were stored
- furniture needed for worship
- Characteristics of the Dwelling Place
- God entered the 1 stday of each month
- symbol of God is represented by thunder and lightning over the tent