Slides I used for the presentation at KMS's Success in IT event
Text of On Becoming a Technical Lead
1. On Becomin g a Technical L ead Buu Nguyen , VP Techno logy KMS Techn ology
2. What is meant by tech lead?
3. Top engineer Assure Own implementation architecture & quality critical modules Mentor other engineers
4. Should I become a tech lead? Or how should I choose a career?
5. Passion Reward Strength
6. Passion Passion Passion overcomes challenges
7. PassionCome what may at the end, you will have had good time
8. Being passionate about something doesnt mean you can be really good at it
9. Trying real hard doesnt guarantee being top
10. Yourself DNA Environment
11. You are unique, so is your strength Build your career on it
12. Is the REWARD good?
13. What makes a good tech lead? Or what should I do to become a tech lead?
14. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
15. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
16. Know broad "If you are a .NET programmer, learn Java. If you are a Java programmer, learn Ruby. If you are a C programmer, learn Lisp. The Clean Coder, Robert C. Martin
17. Know deep "You need knowledge of speciUic technologies to do your job, but you need knowledge of software engineering principles to do your job well. After the Gold Rush, Steve McConnell
18. The WHWHW Framework Level Question Hobbyist What is it? Apprentice How to use it? Competent Why is it built? Advanced How is it built? Master Why is it built that way?
19. Stay current
20. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
21. The 10,000-hour rule Practice isnt the thing you do once youre good. Its the thing you do that makes you good. Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell
22. Not all 10,000 hours are equal The bottom line on experience is this: If you work for 10 years, do you get 10 years of experience or do you get 1 year of experience 10 times? Code Complete, Steve McConnell
23. Be open-minded
24. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
25. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
26. Reject the status quo
27. Work hard on your real needs
28. Get exposed to ideas Whenever human beings Uirst organized themselves into settlements that resembled liquid networks, a great Ulowering of innovations would have immediately followed. Where Good Ideas Come From, Steven Johnson
29. Experience Communication Knowledge Professionalism Creativity
30. Take and accept responsibility I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone. Excerpt from the Hippocratic Oath
31. Career development is your responsibility You should plan on working 60 hours per week. The Uirst 40 are for your employer. The remaining 20 are for you. The Clean Coder, Robert C. Martin
32. Takeaway 0Is tech lead for you? 0Know your passion, strength and reward 0How to become one? 0Work on your knowledge, experience, communication, creativity and professionalism