NYSARTS presentation for Bootstraps. PR Best Practices for artists
- 1. PR Best Practices 'Who did you say you were? Build relationships using best practices of social networking. Rebecca Krause-HardieBlog: Arts.typepad.com January 19, 2010 Funding for the Bootstrap Music Series comes from The New York State Music Fund, establishedby theNew York State Attorney Generalat Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
2. Introductions & Housekeeping Welcome and Welcome Back! Rebecca Krause-Hardie 3. Todays plan
- Questions or ideas from last week
- Intentionality & Branding
- Understanding the playing field
- Specific stuff you can do
- Q & A(dont wait until the end!)
4. Intentionality & Branding
- How do want others see us?
- What is our unique persona?
- How do we present ourselves?
- In our videos and podcasts
- In our blogs & online conversations
5. Understanding the playing field - becoming a social media scientist 6. Listening is the next step
- Lots of conversations out there
- Assess these conversations
7. Joining the conversation & build personal relationships
- What is the value of those relationships?
- close rate on referrals75%
- close rate on direct mail2%
- The power is both positive and negative - good buzz and bad buzz. (be thoughtful)
8. trusting Flickr attribution opxphile 9. sharing 10. responsive Flickr attributionClickFlashPhotos 11. valuing Flickr attribution avriette 12. giving away control Flickr attributionkitchenkam 13. The Currency of Social Capital
- Add value BEFORE asking for stuff
- Participate in the conversations
- Let go of: What am I going to get out of this for me
By investing in authentic trusting relationships in your social networks, you build waves of social capital. 14. Where do conversations happen? 15. Where do conversations happen? 16. Where do conversations happen? 17. Where do conversations happen? 18. Bloggers
19. Last weeks homework
- Inonesentence tell us why we should write about you and why our readers will care.
- Define who are you trying to reach
- Using Google adwords, searches, blog search, listening, etc.
20. Appealing to writers / bloggers
- Listen before you leap in
21. Who are you trying to reach?
- Where doTHEYgo for information?
- Think of it as a little town
- Posters at the school, library, storefronts, C of C, etc.
- Postcards mailed and flyers hanging on the bulletin boards at the coffee shop and gym.
- Ads, Interviews or articles
22. Lets take an example -Find gigs for my band
- What kinds of events do we do?
- Weddings, Bar & Bat mitzvahs,parties, funeral services, church gigs
- How do those people find bands?
- They ask friends & hear them at events
- They research & talk to people
- The organist at the church
- The cantor at the Synagogue
- The lady at the wedding store
23. Explore & identify the online equivalents
- Include location in your search
- Who are potential partners
- What kind of win win arrangements can you make?
24. Explore & identify the online equivalents 25. Explore & identify the online equivalents 26. How do you add value & make it easy for people to find you?
- Lets explore that together
- How are you at risk taking?
27. Conversation Prism 28. What do we do with keywords?
29. What do we do with keywords?
- Monitor your marketplace: Pay Attention!
30. What do we do with keywords?
31. Google Reader 32. http://www.google.com/alerts 33. 34. Find others to learn from
- Are there people out there like you who are already doing what you want to do?
- Learn from them (we dont have to be first) We can learn a lot!
- Track on FB, Twitter, YouTube, Google search, read what others say about them,
- Look at their style and tone
35. Being a sleuth - part 1
- Search google for keyword
36. Check out top blogs forfit or connections 37. Click on some competitors ormentors - study them 38. Click on some competitors ormentors - study them 39. Click on some competitors ormentors - study them 40. How does this DJ create value? 41. Summing it Up 42. Social Media Best Practices
- People are forgiving if your intentions are good
- Setup google alerts for your name
- Setup google reader and add alerts to it for your keywords
44. Q & A
- Post your stuff, your questions, your insights, your feedback.
45. Upcoming Sessions
- Session 3:Successful Promotion on the web
- February:Multimedia Skills
- March:Music, Money & Sustainability
- The NYSA Blog:http://nysarts.typepad.com
- Adwords :https:// adwords .google.com
- http://www. topspinmedia .com/
- http://www. reverbnation .com/
- Case Study:http://tinyurl.com/fistfulayen1
- PR templatehttp://tinyurl.com/smPR1
- http://www. seobook .com/glossary/#
- Rebeccas blog:arts.typepad.comw/lots of stuff