of Baloch, Turkmen, Nuristani, Pamiri, Arab, Gujar, Brahui, Qizilbash, Aimaq, Pashai.
• Religions:• Muslim 99.7% (Sunni 84.7 - 89.7%, Shia 10 - 15%), other 0.3%
(2009 est.)• Languages :• Afghan Persian or Dari (official) 50%, Pashto (official) 35%, Turkic
languages (primarily Uzbek and Turkmen) 11%, 30 minor languages (primarily Balochi and Pashai) 4%
Government of Afghanistan• Afghanistan has had almost every type of government system
over the last century.
• It has 34 provinces, each with its own districts. Most provinces are ruled by a governor.
• Afghanistan has a President, a Cabinet of Ministers, a National Assembly, and a Supreme Court.
• The President is elected and enforces laws made by the House of the People.
• The Cabinet of Ministers is made up of the heads of all the government ministries, who are chosen by the President.
• The National Assembly is made up of two houses:- House of the People- House of Elders
• The House of the People makes laws. There are 249 delegates elected by district. At least two from each province must be women, chosen by the President, who also chooses two disabled and/or impaired and two Kuchis.
• The House of the Elders advises the President. One third of it is elected by district councils, one third by provincial councils, and one third by the President. The district and provincial councils elect one representative from each province. From the people the president chooses, half have to be women and two disabled and/or impaired and two Kuchis (a tribe in Afghanistan).
• The Supreme Court has nine justices appointed by the President. They see that the law is being followed and give punishments to those who don’t.
Provinces Of Afghanistan• Kabul• Kandahar• Herat• Mazar-i-Sharif• Kunduz• Jalalabad• Lashkar Gah• Taluqan• Puli Khumri
• Khost• Ghazni• Sheberghan• Sari Pul• Farah
Climate of Afghanistan• Hot summers
• Cold, dry winters
• Steppe climate in most of Afghanistan.- Similar to a desert climate- Has little precipitation but
more than in a desert.
• Highland climate (several climates in one area) in mountainous area in the northeast.- Hot climates at the bottom
of the mountains – cold ones at the top
- Higher mountains have colder temperatures at the top.
Environment of Afghanistan• Plants:
- Camel thorn- Locoweed- Mimosa- Wormwood- Sagebrush- Evergreens (in
mountains)- Oaks (in mountains)- Poplars (in mountains)- Almond trees (in