Preview of survey findings from the 2014 Kineo and Elearning Age Insights research. Highlights ten insights to transform your learning.
Text of Learning Insights 2014 - 10 Insights To Transform Learning
1. Learning Insights 2014 Transforming Learning 10 Insights From L&D Managers Steve Rayson @steverayson #KPLX
2. Insights Survey Interviewed 35 Learning Managers BNZ Bank KPMG McDonalds Unilever Xerox ASB Bank Barclays What is the business context? What are the challenges? What is working for you? What advice would you give to L&D professionals? Join in #KPLX
3. Context & Challenges New business models Technology changing service delivery models
4. Digitisation of Services There is a huge and growing need for new employees with digital skills from all backgrounds. There is a particular shortage of talented and experienced tech savvy people.
5. Core Challenge The business wants to reduce training time and ensure learning is focused on real scenarios to help transfer application to the workplace.
6. Learning Has to Prove Value Not about cutting costs, learning must: - be based on real business needs - make a difference - change behaviour - improve performance There is money for training but it has to show that it improves sales or performance
7. How is L&D responding? Advice from your colleagues on ten things that work
8. 1. Work with the business Make learning business focused, practical and applied by: consulting with the business involving them in the design building learning around real business challenges creating realistic scenarios
9. Be a consultant: get really close to the beating heart of your business. Walk in the shoes of your business people. Dont stay on the outside. Make learning real and as authentic as possible.
10. 2. Embed learning in the workflow Make learning content more resource driven, shorter, more focused, supportive and performance related. We made the information shorter, sharper and easier to access on a just-in-time basis. We provide a variety of resources that can be accessed just-in-time.
11. 3. Make it open and available Driven by consumer expectations Available when I need it On the device I am using
12. Multi-Device Learning
13. 4. Tap into the power of peers Embrace peer learning Involve them in delivery Use colleagues as coaches Provide local mentors/buddies Encourage sharing and social learning Support user generated content
14. Many Examples I find out more from Yammer than any other communication channel in our business Stores have really embraced it section managers love it, people get back much more quickly e.g. anyone got a fault with a zip on this jacket, yes this is how you fix it. People respond much quicker on Yammer. No way youd get that response on email.
15. 5. Leverage Managers Design in close consultation with managers Use managers to deliver and support learning Get managers to track the impact on performance
16. 6. Get Tough with Assessment Undertake post learning reviews with managers Identify real examples of behaviour change. We are doing scenario-based assessments. We are focusing on knowledge application and impact on performance.
17. 7. Innovate Be nimble and agile and focus on new ideas. Adopt a prototyping approach test out new design approaches very quickly, get end user feedback
18. MOOC Marks and Spencer Free business innovation course that uses case studies from M&S 130 year history, as well as examples of best practice from the University of Leeds
19. 8. Blended Learning Design Create mature blends Webinars Gamification Mobile Social learning Peer learning
20. 9. Communication Market your learning Simple, focused messages Communicate relentlessly
21. Campaigns Create a learning brand, use every channel Campaigns use every channel
22. 10. Engage Leaders Get senior leaders to lead by example visible leadership Get them to share their learning stories Demonstrate how they are developing themselves
23. 10 Tips/Insights 1. Be a consultant 2. Embed the learning 3. Make it accessible 4. Embrace peer learning 5. Leverage managers 6. Get tough with assessment 7. Innovate and prototype 8. Blended designs 9. Communicate and market 10. Engage leaders
24. Are You Skilled Up?
25. The L&D Skills Challenge Gamification Business consultancy Knowledge mgt, content curation, performance support OD, change management, Blended performance Design solutions Blended designs social, games, mobile, coaching, webinars Tech savvy, application of new learning technologies Communications and marketing Prepare Peer and learning pitch business cases Measure real business impact Multi-device learning Social learning Assessment Assessment Coaching Classroom design Webinars
26. The L&D Skills Challenge Customer service Business consultancy Knowledge mgt, content curation, performance support OD, change management, Compliance performance solutions Blended designs social, games, mobile, coaching, webinars Tech savvy, application of new learning technologies Communications and marketing Prepare and Sales pitch business cases Measure real business impact Leadership and management Onboarding Technical training
27. The L&D Skills Challenge Performance support Business consultancy Knowledge mgt, content curation, performance support OD, change management, Business performance consultancy solutions Blended designs social, games, mobile, coaching, webinars Tech savvy, application of new learning technologies Communications and marketing Prepare Change and management pitch business cases Measure real business impact Knowledge management Content curation
28. The L&D Skills Challenge Proposal Business consultancy Knowledge mgt, content curation, performance support OD, change management, Business performance case solutions Blended designs social, games, mobile, coaching, webi