Text of WHY ISNâ€™T MIDDLE EAST B2B COMPANIES SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY FIRING????
1. WHY ISNT MIDDLE EAST B2B COMPANIES SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY FIRING????
2. 2014Middle East land of social wellsSource: Go-gulf.comIn the Middle East,65% of online users are men & 35% are women36% of the online users are aged between 18 and 2494% of Social Media Users are on Facebook Highest Social Media Penetration 2014:UAE has penetration rate of 44% for FacebookUAE has penetration rate of 45% for LinkedInUAE has penetration rate of 33% for TwitterIn 2012, LinkedIn grew 123% in the Middle East vs. 43% Worldwide. (Source: Arabnet.me)2Most users spend 30% of their time on social networks, 20% for services, 11% for entertainment and content, 9% spent readings news.380 Million internet users, multiple tongues. 72 Million speak Arabic,42 million speak Persian and 46% speak Turkish. 57% of users are bilingual and 21% trilingual.Culturally people centric business
3. 2014Social media exploration & extraction challenges3Only 19% of business have online presence, huge opportunity for B2B social media marketing51% of the companies using social media have no strategy80% of the companies fear about inadvertent impact on reputationIn 2014, companies have increased social media spend by 40%Major areas of spend email marketing (30%), social media marketing (linkedin, FB, Twitter ..27%), SMS marketing (11%), Apps and smartphone applications (10%).Localization of content is the biggest challengeSocial media monetization absent in 87% companies74% unsure of Managing FeedbackSources: Bayt.com, Linkedin.com, Comscore,
4. 2014Fears and Phobias of engaging Social mediaGetting the tone of message right major challenge on content creationKeeping up-to-date with tools and technologiesMy biggest concern with participating in social media is that well somehow provoke a crisis. Marketing Manager, (B2C Company)Connecting and creating relationships with customers is nice, but how does that translate to sales or customer relationship? CEO, (Manufacturing company)4
5. 2014Some smarter Brands that have mastered Social media5
6. 2014What underlies their success: 6 principles1.Integrated marketing and sales strategy with both offline and online contributing to reach, richness and engagement with customers2.Proactive strategy of creating content, consumption analysis and improved customer service, serve with insights..3.Clear ownership to offline and online teams and outcome driven measurement4.Emphasis is on listening, engaging, enticing and extending relationship5.CRM integrated with social media6.Social media aligned to sales strategySource: www.futurexploration.net6
7. 2014B & M Social Media StrategyBrowne & Mohan suggests BTPCE framework described below go about designing their content, what communities to target, how to coordinate the content and guide the discussion and so on.Branding PurposeTarget CustomersPlatformsContent Strategy DesignEmployee User EngagementOnline User BehaviorRichness , Directed VisitorExperience, RepeaterEnshrinement, community insiderLock-in, ChampionReach, Undirected Visitor
8. 2014B2B Social Media Process FollowOnline purpose: Brand as complement, or replica or experience.Shared understanding of social media amongst stake holders: employees, marketing, sales, etcSocial media Expectations (Brand/revenue growth)Target customer, geographies, communities of interest, communities of consumptionOwn or join the communities of interestPlatform selectionofferings: Blogs, tweets, Videos and presentations etc.Content Themes: Product, competition, industry evolution, customer pain areas, corporate positioning of best practices Content type: informative, referential, comparative and endorsement Content Map User & Employee engagementPeople: followers, fans, influencers , leads, time of engagementRSS feeds, email registrations or event attendance, likes, dislikes, comments, trackbacks, forwards, completed profiles, brand mentions, sentiments.Review & ActVisionTarget Audience & Platform SelectionContent &Engagement ModelsMetrics, Review & Act8
9. 2014VisioningVisioning fundamentally involves aligning all the stakeholders in an organization to the purpose of social media presence and objectively defining the purpose of social media presence. Clarity of what the social media is expected to be ensures the purpose, positioning and alignments are attained without much confusions amongst the actors involved.An explicit understanding of the purpose of presence in social media, whether it is for branding or revenue growth would help define the focus and implementation of right activities.Engagement Values at Company LevelTransparencyAuthentic content and conversationsProtectionRespecting consumer privacyRespectRespect for consumer views, opinions & suggestionsResponsibilitySense of ownership for the conversations, content and participationsUtilizationAdopt the best practices in social media9
10. 2014Target Audience & Platform SelectionIn the second stage, target audience and platform selection decisions including who the target customers are, what geographies to target, what would be the communities of interestSocial Media PlatformsBlogsCompany Information, insider & 3rd party branding, Employee Engagement & InteractionFacebookNo of users, youth connect, user experience sharing, product evaluation, user feedback, communities of interest, managed 3rd party promos, drive traffic, User engagement for new product, promotions, contestsTwitterMicroblogging, status updates, celebrity branding, market announcements, Announcements, updates, senior management interviews/opinions, community of practice, CEO brandingResponsibilityHiring, professional networking, branding, information sharingYouTubevisual promotions, corporate video, expertise, customer experienceFlickr/InstagramSharing of Photos, Albums, reinforcing celebration.Google+Personal Networking, drive traffic, youth connect, user experience sharing10
11. 2014Content and Engagement ModelsSocial media content strategy design is a very innate aspect to drive any social media engine. The content connects and glues the members in a community. The content creation can be user generated content (UGC) or company generated content.We find four content types Informative, Comparative, Referential and Endorsement most effective for b2b markets.Engagement Values at Company LevelInformativeHave released to new virtual personal assistant (VPA) that offers takes all the pain away from delegation and multitaskingComparativeWhile EMC, IBM and other vendors may be offering price advantages only:, KREATIO stands out for value for money, high modularity, ease of deploymentReferentialWCM roll out at IDG provesEndorseWe are happy to share the business advantages we got from deploying effipay11
12. 2014Metrics, Review & ActContinuous evaluation of social branding exercise is needed so as have timely implementation of the needed change. while several measures could be used to measure the effectiveness of social media, we find some of the measures such as return on participation, return on involvement, return on attention, return on trust and return on conversation are rather cumbersome to capture and or at best some estimates.Measure PeriodicallyFollowers, Fans, InfluencersWeekly, Monthly, quarter-wiseSales LeadsMonthly, quarter-wiseSite EngagementMonthly, quarter-wiseRSS FeedsWeekly, Monthly, quarter-wiseEmail registrationEvent relatedLikes & SharesWeekly, Monthly, quarter-wiseBrand Mentions / HashtagsWeekly, Monthly, quarter-wiseSentiments (negative/positive)Weekly, Monthly, quarter-wise12
13. 2014What must Middle East companies doDefine the very objective of social media engagement.The objective can be to influence the prospects for a product purchase, increase the brand awareness or creating buzz. The content should always be brand values centric.Identify the preferred content forms by target audience.Content forms can be video, white papers, blogs and podcasts. For a sales centric engagement the preferred content form is video due to the marketing strength of viral video and prominent social networks. For an idea centric engagement the preferred form is company blogs and white papers available onsite.Customize content to community & social media platforms.It is very essential to understand user characteristics, their preferences and ensure the content is appropriate to that platform. If targeting a matured user identify the top industry issues, top bloggers, the thought leaders and the platforms used by them and structure the content right.13
14. 2014Use insource/outsource resources.Using both internal and external resources would benefit the company to portray neutrality and self-interest in tandem. Moreover, the content generation is de-risked as not just the quality of original content matters, but also the quantity.Engagement cycle should be active and involve multiple levels in the organization & its ecosystem.Social media engagement is a continuous process Involve many people from your organization and partners to benefit from scale. However, clearly define and control the content and its distribution. Referential and endorsements from external sources matters online.14What must Middle East companies do